Savory pancake has been famous in long time as a typical Vietnamese traditional dish. It has the regional taste along 3 areas of Vietnam and been varied with the materials. Beside the basic ingredients: rice flour, egg, shrimp …people add more things to make it as matched as with their own flavor.
Traveler named it as Vietnamese pizza. It is right except that cake must be eaten with fresh vegetables and fish sauce. Although it is the local and simple food, the flavor is incredible. The hot and crispy cake with the smell of egg, shrimp and pork …create an irresistible taste that your mouth water can not stop any time thinking of it.
The name of “Banh Xeo” comes from the sizzling sound it makes when you cook. Its name loosely means “sizzling cake” The sound is much more obvious when pouring the rice milk into the hot pan.
There are many versions of pan cake, today we will introduce you how to make it with Danang flavor
- Rice flour
- Turmeric flour
- Spring onion
- Bean sprout
- Pork belly
- Mustard greens
- Mint, raw fresh vegetable
- Mango, cucumber and green banana
- Fish sauce
- Rice paper cake
Prepare rice milk
To create the rice milk for the cake, you may soak the rice in water within around 6 hours and mill it by the blender and filter. Or you can buy the pre-made rice flour bag in the supermarket. Just one tip that the pre-made one sometimes has the spicy already, you should be careful when adding more.
- Add from one or two tea spoons of turmeric to make it interesting yellow color.
- Chop the spring onion into 0.5 cm segments and mix with the rice milk
- Add ¼ tea spoon with salt.
- Add two chicken eggs and stir well
- Cut out the head and tail of shrimps and cut into small parts
- Wash carefully the pork with salt and slice thinly
- Wash and soak the bean sprouts with salt for 2 mins
- Stir fried pork and shrimp then pour it into a separated bowl
Prepare the vegetables
- Slice the young banana and cucumber, mango or the star fruit into three separated bowls of water with a tea spoon of salt or lemon juice to prevent it from dark colour because of its gel. The acrid of green banana, cool of cucumber and of mango or starfruit will reduce the fatty taste of the cake. You should cut in the long way, length about one finger. It is easier for rolling comparing chopping into the round shape. Collect all of them and put into fresh vegetables, wash carefully and soak them in slight salt with water during 2-3 mins to kill the worms and wash again with water.
Prepare the fish sauce
- Crush the garlic and chili, the amount related to your favorite. If you like the hot, spicy, you should add more chili. Then mixing it well with 3 tea spoons of water, one spoon of lemon juice, 2 spoons of sugar and 3 spoons of fish sauce.
Making Banh Xeo
- Put the pan on medium heat and wait for it to be dry. Pour 1 spoon of cooking oil into it and wait until you can see the bubbles around from putting the chopstick in to try the heat, it is time to add a few pieces of pork and shrimp. The filling should be within half of the cake, so when you fold, it is not broken.
- After one min, pour in some rice milk and quickly tilt & rotate the pan so the liquid is evenly spreading fully the pan.
- Add some bean sprouts and cover with a lid for 2-3 minutes, or until bean sprouts are slightly cooked. The liquid should also be slightly cooked and transparent around the edges.
- Remove the lid, lower heat and wait for the cake to become crisp. Fold in half, transfer it to a plate and serve immediately in hot to feel the better taste.
The Banh Xeo should be served by hands. Firstly, you take a rice paper cake then put on a half of the cake, next you add vegetables, roll and dip into the sauce.
This type of cake is a very popular dish in Da Nang in the rainy time because it is fatty and served in hot. You can make it easily with this recipe, however to create the perfect rice liquid is quite hard. You can try a bit with hot oil until it gets the right mixture. Or if you have a chance to travel to Danang, you can join in any Danang cooking class. Beside teaching you the right Danang tasting pancake, the cooking class will be your great lessons of other foods such as fried spring rolls, Pho noodle, Quang noodle, fish sauce chicken wing…
Join Jolie Da nang cooking class here: https://joliecookingclass.com/